I don’t really have much witty commentary here, since I am nearing the end of my cut and am cranky lol. Here’s a recipe for cheese sauce that’s lower calorie and lower fat. I used it kist recently for mac and cheese with salmon but you can put your own spin on it!
1 1/4 C Fat free Milk
1 C chicken stock
3 Tbl all purpose flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
1 1/3 C 2% skim milk cheddar cheese (get it at wegmans!)
salt and pepper to taste
- whisk 3 Tbl of flour together with 1/4 C of FF milk in a sauce pan, and slowly heat until a thick roux forms
- add remaining milk, and chicken stock and whisk over low heat until mixture is smooth and starts to thicken (congrats you’ve just made béchamel, aren’t you fancy!)
- stir in cheese (You could also use fat free cheese here), and stir until molted and smooth
- at this point you may choose to use a hand or sticker immersion blender to really help smooth things out, fat free cheeses tend to be a bit grainy in general so this may be helpful although unneccesary
- season to your taste with salt and pepper, and serve however you like!
- For a slight variation, use mozzarella cheese and parmesan and add fresh or powdered garlic for a really good alfredo sauce!