It’s much easier to cook and eat healthily if you have what you need. Here’s a general list of common ingredients to have on hand for a well stocked fridge and pantry.
- Chicken: whichever parts you like
- Beef: skirt steak, filet, flank, trimmed cube steaks etc. (really fatty cuts of beef can be fine as well, but I don’t suggest having them with your post training carbs, keep those for lower carb meals)
- Fish: tuna, tilapia, shrimp and shellfish are favorites of ours (some readers expressed concern about tilapia, do your research and source from a reputable source, we buy ours at whole foods)
- Pork: same goes for pork as far as fat, leaner meats with carbs, fattier with greens
- Green beans
- Any leafy green
- Any lettuce
Starchy Veg (post training)
- Zucchini/summer squash
- Winter squash: butternut, pumpkin
- Coconut oil
- Grass fed butter
- Olive oil
- Heavy cream
- Sweet potatoes
- Brown Rice
- Whole wheat pastas
- Multigrain breads
Herbs and Spices
- These are the fun part, having a variety of spices available can change the same three ingredients into a completely different meal.
- Garlic is a must have.
- I use kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to season all these recipes.
There are plenty more healthy ingredients not listed here, but this is a good jumping off point to get you going.